Friday, June 17, 2011

WIP Up

A contemporary titled A Hole in God's Pocket.

You may not know this, but Wisconsin has the fourth largest Amish population in the U.S.  Since I moved to this part of the state about fifteen years ago, I've frequently encountered these quiet, humble people at local auctions and flea markets; I've passed their farms, and their buggies, on innumerable country roads.  For a while I've wanted to create an Amish-born hero.

However, I didn't want to make him a simple, naive, virginal creature. I wanted him to be five or more years into his rumspringa and well acquainted with the ways of the "English" world -- so familiar, in fact, that he's become disillusioned and somewhat jaded.

The less experienced protagonist will be a guy from a very different background: wholly modern and more sophisticated, more steeped in education and the spirit of inquiry. Yet, at their heart, the worlds these young men fled will prove surprisingly similar, possessed of the same kind of allure . . . as well as the same severe restrictions on personal freedom.  And there won't be anything cut-and-dried about the decisions the protags will have to make.

So, this won't be "The Awakening of a Sweet Amish Boy" kind of story.  It's likely to be more "The Potential Downfall of the Sweet Amish Boy." (I won't say more about the other H lest I scare everybody away before the story's even written!)  I'm excited about it but I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.  :)

P.S. I've been working on a free read about Jackson Spey being reunited with his mother and introducing her to Adin, but . . . it's really hard for me to submerge myself in more than one story at a time!  :-/

7 comments:

Jason said...

this sounds awesome!!

K. Z. Snow said...

Hiya, Jase!

It might sound awesome, but whether it turns out that way is something else entirely. ;-)

K. Z. Snow said...

Yeah, Chris, I suppose a depraved Amishman is. :)

(He won't really be depraved, though, just fallen.)

Tam said...

Uh oh. Keeping secrets so we don't freak out? Hmmmm. Good luck.

K. Z. Snow said...

Thanks, Tam.

Lily said...

You can be such a tease. Sounds really interesting!

K. Z. Snow said...

Hi, Lily! I'm not teasing; the story just isn't written yet!