Wednesday, December 28, 2011

News

I'm going to mention this, because it doesn't happen to me very often.

Two fairly new, very articulate, and genuinely personable reviewers put a couple of my pieces on their Favorite Books of 2011 lists. I can't tell you how surprised and thrilled I was (as I said, I'm not often mentioned in this context, and I'm truly honored to be so). Heaping thanks to the genuinely sweet Tom Webb of "A Bear on Books," who cited Visible Friend. Tom posted his "Best" list at It's Raining Men. And more thanks to J. at "Joyfully Jay" for mentioning The Zero Knot. Then there's talented Tam Ames over at "Tam's Reads." She didn't exactly do a Favorites list, but she averaged out her book ratings (of which there must be hundreds, considering how much that woman reads). I made it into third place -- another lovely surprise.

I myself have an appallingly short Favorites list. So here it is, for what it's worth:

  • Best Book I Read in 2011 --  The Brothers Bishop by Bart Yates (hands down)
  • Favorite M/M Couple of 2011 (and possibly forever) -- Rickey and G-man, created by Poppy Z. Brite (I'm in the process of gobbling up every novel and story in which they're featured.)
  • Favorite Character I Made Up in 2011 ('cause I can't possible pick a favorite book) -- Jared "Red" Bonner in The Zero Knot.
  • Dumb-assedest Review I Read in 2011 -- Can't remember. It seems every time I troll for books at Amazon or Goodreads, I invariably come across a reader review that makes me think, That's gotta be the most dumb-assed review I've ever read.
  • Best Blog I Discovered in 2011: a toss-up between "Thorny, Not Prickly" and 2 Boys in Love (because I'm getting sentimental in my dotage)
  • Books I'm Most Looking Forward to Reading -- anything with the couple mentioned above; anything by Frank Tuttle that I haven't yet read (God, I am such a fangirl); Downtime by Tamara Allen (which I was super-duper lucky enough to have grabbed at Wave's big holiday giveaway); Willy and Martyrs and Monsters by Robert Dunbar; some stories by Lucius Parhelion. (Crap, now a slew of other books are coming to mind, but I can't possibly list them all!) 

Keep your eyes peeled for Jessewave's announcement of her on-site New Year's bash. I'll be contributing a little something. And speaking of Wave, I'm also grateful to those people who chose my titles during her enormous Christmas giveaway. Hundreds of books were offered by dozens of authors, so, honestly, it was a relief not to be overlooked!

9 comments:

Chris said...

Congrats on the mentions! :)

Tam said...

Yay you. :-) I'm afraid I don't do favourites lists. I think I read too many and I'm too afraid of leaving someone out and hurting feelings. I suppose I could go for my list of 5 star reads which seems to be getting shorter and shorter the more I read. Okay, I had 19, one was you. ;-) I might, since my guest posters didn't show up this week. We'll see if I'm motivated. (As I sit in my jammies at 4:00 in the afternoon, watching the snow fall.)

I have read Downtime, excellent score. I know the feeling about not wanting to be the last kid picked for the dodge ball team. LOL

Kris said...

"... because I'm getting sentimental in my dotage... "

It's like you're deliberately asking me to be rude to you. Bah, I can't be bothered today. The lazy thing.

Go you on the 'best of' mentions. Very cool. :)

Ok, I'm giving up on the whole nice thing too. Way too much effort.

Katrina Strauss said...

Awesome mentions!

K. Z. Snow said...

Thanks, Chris. They did buck me up.

Oh crap, Tam, I forgot to mention your list! (Have to go fix that.)

Kris . . . what can I say? You are one of the rare bastions of predictability in my life. ;-)

K. Z. Snow said...

Hi, Kitty! How've the holidays been for you thus far?

Yeah, I must admit it feels better to be mentioned than to get that "I'm sinking into obscurity" feeling.

Kris said...

"Kris . . . what can I say? You are one of the rare bastions of predictability in my life. ;-)"

Heh. People say that about me all the time.

Helena said...

Congratulations on being recognised!
And thank you for mentioning Thorny's new blog - I've missed him and Jazz. (And I suspect it was you who first drew his previous blog to my attention, so thanks for that too.)

K. Z. Snow said...

Thank you, Helena!

I missed Thorny's blog too. Glad he got back online.