Monday, October 12, 2009

Ravenous Romance on Home Shopping Network?

Holy shit. I mean, is that an example of divine inspiration or what?

I followed some links and found this most astonishing bit of news. (Click on post title.) It appears the much-maligned RR is peddling genre book-packs on HSN, that offspring of cable TV where you can buy the cosmetics and jewelry lines of has-been celebrities (among many other useless things).

Wow. Why haven't other publishers thought to hawk their books this way? From what I've been able to gather, participating RR authors had to "tone down" the sexual content of their books, but so what? This decision could likely pay off in spades! (I'm just curious about how they got all their offered books to end up at 192 pages.)

5 comments:

Kris said...

Holy Crap. Will be interesting to see what comes of it.

As to the page length, easy. Divine Intervention.

Kassa said...

I remember when this was first launched. It's all M/F romance but the funny thing is RR spelled the name of an author wrong ... twice.

K. Z. Snow said...

That's one of the things that astonishes me, Kassa -- that their reputation for putting out a substandard product didn't precede them. I fully admit I have no first-hand knowledge of the quality of their offerings, but they have been the subject of much snark.

Sad to say, it makes sense their m/m works wouldn't be offered. I doubt HSN followers are ready for those kinds of romances.

Tam said...

I believe judicious use of the "set spacing" tab in Word will help you get to the 192 page exactly mark no matter how many words you do or don't use.

I have to admit I have no clue who RR are. *shrug* but hey, if they can sell their books I guess they are ahead of the game. They might be surprised at what those home shoppers would buy re: m/m. Well, maybe not.

K. Z. Snow said...

Yep, I'm sure there are all kinds of tricks involving font size and character/word/line spacing.

I'm envious, can't deny it.