Monday, April 26, 2010

Ouch! I've been tagged!

Wow, I just discovered this from Wren in my Gmail inbox! I would've posted it sooner if I weren't so Yahoocentric. Thanks, sweetie! I never get awards. (Well, except for those sympathy medals I won for playing bassoon, which I mentioned in an author bio somewhere. And that reminds me -- when am I going to learn to keep my trap shut?)



So, it appears Ms. Wren Boudreau (click on post title to view "Nonsense and Little Things") expects me to bare my soul and list ten things that make me happy. I suppose it's less embarrassing than listing ten things that make me sad, 'cause then I'd have to get into TMI territory -- like peeing my pants when I sneeze or laugh too hard. So here goes, in no particular order. Don't expect anything juicy; you ain't gettin' it. I'm not tagging people, either, because y'all have tagged just about everybody I know!



1. Eating quality vanilla ice cream with gobs of hot fudge. (Oh gee, guess what? I've already managed to do that today!)

2. Watching my mutts get their goofy on.

3. Spring.

4. Finding cool stuff at low prices when I go junking (resale shops, yard sales, flea markets, auctions -- what treasure troves!) Nope, I'm not a hoarder; just love discovering unusual and/or useful things.

5. Writing.

6. People liking my books.

7. RL and online friends.

8. My Christmas ornaments (well, Christmas in general, sans the consumerism).


9. Nearly every aspect of nature.

10. My favorite music, movies, and books. (Let's just group those together as pastimes.)

14 comments:

Average Reader said...

Great list! I could get behind #4 as well, but I'm always afraid I'm going to turn into a hoarder. There's potential there. And #2, dogs and other critters are just so funny. No question about that.

Chris said...

#4 is a favorite of mine, although I don't indulge in it that much, beyond the formerly excellent thrift store near work that has become less excellent as the economy has done badly. :(

Tam said...

I am horrible at doing the garage sale thing because that requires you getting out of bed on Saturday and dressed before noon. The motivation is just not big enough to win on that one.

Great list. Thanks for sharing.

wren boudreau said...

Glad to see you're on top of these things. Didn't mean to tag you so hard. Guess I don't know my own strength!

Gosh the ice cream/hot fudge treat sounds wonderful.

I'm with Tam on the garage sale thing - getting up is so not doable. Plus, I suck at 1)finding worthwhile stuff and 2) negotiating. (You want $50 for that bathmat? Okay. Here.)

K. Z. Snow said...

Yay! Blogger is finally letting me post again!

Honestly, I'd be happy if my life consisted of writing, enjoying nature (dogs included in that), and junking. The problem with the last of these is finding the time and forking out $$$ for gas. Nothing's very close to anything else around here.

Recent finds: last week I got a big shopping bag full of hard- and softcover books for $5. (My local thrift shop regularly runs book sales.) Today I found a chicken-shaped covered serving bowl from Fredericksburg Pottery, ca. 1910, for $2.50 -- beautiful condition, with a rich green glaze.

You wouldn't believe the things I've scored over the years.

wren boudreau said...

"Chicken-shaped covered serving bowl"

????????

You are so weird, KZ. Post a picture.

Lily said...

Great list!

I love Xmas ornaments & lights. So pretty. #4 is great but since I started working weekends I have had the chance to go.

K. Z. Snow said...

I'm afraid I can't post a pic, Wren; my digital camera crapped out. But hey, you have an imagination. Right?

In size, it's between a gravy boat and a covered casserole. The look does not resemble Chinese-factory-made chickens but is more sleek and stylized, with a shaded, monochrome glaze. It's century-old art pottery, so quite lovely.

K. Z. Snow said...

I can sympathize, Lily. Time is at a premium for me too. But if I'm out and about, I'll stop at places.

wren boudreau said...

Fine. I'll have to just draw pictures in my head!

Average Reader said...

Today I found a chicken-shaped covered serving bowl from Fredericksburg Pottery, ca. 1910, for $2.50 -- beautiful condition, with a rich green glaze.

Oh, man! Now, I'm kind of jealous. Really! I could keep my antique button collection in something like that, and I bet it would look way cool!

K. Z. Snow said...

Yes, Val, absolutely! It could be used for storing/displaying all sorts of things.

I've been drawn to unusual antiques and folk art for years. Contemporary mass-produced stuff, unless it's strictly utilitarian, kind of depresses me. I really, really despise the crap that's coming out of China. How sad that craftsmanship is falling by the wayside!

Jenre said...

Good list, KZ. Especially the ice-cream thing, yum!

The thrift stuff is really not my thing. My house is filled with tonnes of kids stuff so I can't bear the thought of having ornamental stuff around as well. After the kids were born, I put all my ornaments away and they basically killed my plants by playing toy soldiers in them so the tops of my bookshelves/mantelpiece look very bare. I can live with that until they're old enough not to break my stuff.

K. Z. Snow said...

The plants must've served as jungles for the soldiers, eh? :-D

I'm actually not much of a collector, except when it comes to my two weaknesses: books and vintage Christmas decorations. But I've drastically scaled back on those, too, since I moved to a much smaller living space.

Shopping for used stuff is mostly a matter of practicality for me -- it saves money and is, I think, a great form of recycling -- but I do get frivolous occasionally. Things just call out to me sometimes. :-)