The august Washington Post runs a weekly feature known as the Style Invitational, in which readers are given a chance to do clever things with words. (Click on post title to see some recent contests.) I found one from 2003 that involved altering words by one letter and assigning them new definitions.
I like these very much. :-)
- Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to begin with.
- Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
- Foreploy: Any misrepresentation of yourself for the purpose of getting laid.
- Giraffiti: Vandalism painted very, very high.
- Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.
- Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
- Hipatitis: Terminal coolness.
- Osteopornosis: A degenerate disease.
- Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's a serious bummer.
- Glibido: All talk and no action.
- Dopeer Effect: The tendency for stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly. [Lookin' at you, Glenn Beck.]
And the winner --
- Ignoranus: A person who's both stupid and an asshole.