Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Most Overlooked & Underappreciated, Part 2


Timbuk3 (formerly Pat MacDonald and the Essentials)

I have a roundabout connection to these Wisconsin musicians, who, I believe, are no longer a couple. Some years ago (everything in my life happened "some years ago"), I lived in a county that's probably the most chichi tourist trap in the upper Midwest. Slaved away there, I did, cleaning rooms at waterfront motels and country inns, preparing and serving food, even tending bar for a brief, doomed while. I've heard it said that this song is about that county, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, the watering hole I visited most often (when I wasn't fooling around with very young men) was owned by this singer's father, a great guy.

I'm proud to own the obscure LP on which the following song made its first appearance, and I've seen Pat MacDonald and Barbara K perform at that once-upon-a-time tavern. So, without further ado . . .

"Assholes on Parade"

11 comments:

Average Reader said...

I almost never have the patience to sit through a you-tube video (just because of the time involved) but I had to try this after reading about your personal connection, and I'm glad I did. Most unusual! And the guy sings with a perfect sarcastic tone, ha, ha!

Lily said...

Hmm, interesting song. :)

K. Z. Snow said...

They're quite talented musicians but do have a penchant for, let's say, "wry" lyrics. :-)

Tam said...

So can I take it you are better on the receiving side of the bar? :-) I always thought being a bartender sounded like fun, but when it's busy it's likely a PITA.

Chris said...

Hmm, I only have A Hundred Lover and Eden Alley... Obviously I need to pick up some of their older stuff at some point. Probably I had it on cassette at some point!

K. Z. Snow said...

"So can I take it you are better on the receiving side of the bar? :-)"

Oy. Yeah, that was the most wanton and cougarish period of my life. There were some superfine bartenders, musicians, and jack-of-all-trades types up there at the time. I literally had my pick of men from 19 to 59 -- no exaggeration.

It was fun. Until I ruined it by getting married. ;-)

K. Z. Snow said...

Chris, you are too cool for school! Of course, Mpls. isn't far from P.M.'s usual stomping grounds, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised you've heard of him. (He might be in Madison now, but I'm not sure.)

Chris said...

LOL - but I was living in Rochester when I started to listen to them. :)

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Oh, goodie, Blogger's being difficult today.

K. Z. Snow said...

Rochester was close enough. It's still in Minnesota. :-)