Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Most Excellent Surprise from Blind Eye Books

If you visit this blog with any regularity (says the dreamer), you've read my effusions about Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale. That startling and superior two-part novel caused me to begin keeping a close eye on Blind Eye, the publisher. (Click on the post title to go there.) It's an intriguing little pub, clearly dedicated to literary as well as graphic quality, so when it ran a contest . . . well, guess which book-whore sat up and took notice.


Yeah, you betcha.


Prizes for the winners? Copies of Blind Eye's recent anthology, Tangle, reviews for which I began devouring as soon as they appeared. And I was a winner--lord, what a rare occurrence--and my copy arrived today! I am so going to read this baby ASAP.

So thank you, Ms. Kimberling, for this unexpected gift. More important, thank you for running a classy, groundbreaking, risk-taking press, the products of which delight both the mind and the eye. I am officially one of your fangirls.

EDITED TO ADD: I've read two-and-a-half stories so far. Don't want to say too much just yet, but I really can't keep quiet about Jesse Sandoval's "Los Conversos". Just can't. I haven't read such numinous fiction in a very long time. (I was going to call it luminous, which is also apt, but numinous describes it more accurately.) Wow. If any story in this anthology surpasses Sandoval's, I'm afraid my head will spin right off my neck.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

How exciting! I love having fangirls.

K. Z. Snow said...

Thanks for stopping by, Nikki! Just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll never be lacking in fangirls or fanboys.

Clare London said...

Hi there, and i got my copy too and am squeeing much the same way *lmao*

I've read quite a few and I'm loving them, and it looks like my taste is the same as yours!!

Here's to more happy reading, it's a fabulous collection.
Clare
^__^

K. Z. Snow said...

Hi, Clare! Nice to hear from you again.

I'm taking my time with the anthology, trying to read only one story at a sitting.

I hate transitioning too abruptly from one fictional world to another. Since each of the worlds in Tangle is unique--and, often, richly drawn--I really need a break between them; it helps me reorient myself.

So . . . I've thus far read four or five of the eleven.