Monday, May 09, 2011

My Vinyl Comes Out of Hibernation

Almost a decade ago, following my murder of my second husband divorce, I was forced to sell my lovely old farmhouse and most of its contents.  But I couldn't give up my collection of classic LPs.  Since there was no adequate place to store them at my new residence, which happened to be the home of my Dutch friend, "Ready" Freddie, ol' Jerr was kind enough to let me keep them in his basement (a nice, dry basement, thank goodness).  As I've said before, Jerry was a sweetheart. 

Anyhoo, after Jerry's passing, JLA and I went over to his house to retrieve my records before the two females living there -- one, a thief just released from prison his kinda-sorta stepdaughter; the other, a drunken slut lost soul he took in out of sheer kindness (because dear Jerr was that way) -- somehow made my albums disappear.  Getting them back was like a happy reunion.  Or like Christmas.  Most of all, it was a relief.  Although I've been able to trust Jerry and most of the strays he's taken in over the years, I didn't feel too comfortable having anything in his house once he was gone.

One of the many treasures I rediscovered was African Sanctus by David Fanshawe, far and away one of the most incredible pieces of music I've ever heard. It's beautiful in sound and in spirit and invariably gives me goosebumps.


Dr. Fanshawe was a British composer who, in the late 1960s, traveled to north and east Africa and recorded mostly tribal songs and chants in Uganda, Kenya, and Sudan (although he also captured a haunting version of the Islamic Call to Prayer in Egypt -- and to hear it interwoven with Christian liturgical music brings tears to my eyes). Dr. Fanshawe then masterfully mixed chosen pieces with portions of the Latin Mass and Anglican liturgy, some of which he "recomposed" a little to fit seamlessly with the more primitive-sounding African music.  The video below is only a brief sample of African Sanctus.  Believe me, the whole thing is well worth listening to.



3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm glad you're reunited with your music. :)

Tam said...

Glad you got them back. That is a rather eclectic piece. Most people just find copies of Billy Joel and Fleetwood Mac.

K. Z. Snow said...

I'm glad too, Chris. :)

Tam, there's no Billy Joel or Fleetwood Mac in my collection. Or Neil Diamond. Or Cher. It's weighted toward funk, blues, and r&b, although I do have quite a bit of old rock (like early Stones albums) and a mix of other stuff from ages past. Used to have an enormous classical collection, too, but I had to get rid of it. Records are heavy en masse, and they're demanding of a clean environment. (But I did keep the more unusual albums, like medieval and Renaissance music, Gregorian chant, hurdy-gurdy, old music box, and carillon recordings -- stuff like that.)