Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My First Published Book

Aww . . .


I've been doing a massive paperwork cleanout -- desk drawers, file cabinets, folders tucked in chests and closets -- and came upon this copy of my first-ever book cover. (Yes, I was so proud and thrilled, I printed it out. :))

Issued by a tiny and now-defunct e-pub (through which, by the way, author Charlene Teglia published a popular Christmas story), Silvermist is a sweet m/f romance complete with secret baby and not-too-egregious head hopping. It's actually a rather lovely story -- angsty, but not overly so, and laced with humor. One reviewer said it touched her soul. I remember being on Cloud Nine for days after that.

The pseudonym? Umm, yeah. I didn't realize Kate Snow was also the name of a correspondent at one of the major television networks. Oops. So Kate became K.Z. when I transitioned to erotic romance.

Silvermist no longer exists, except on a disc and in my old hard drive. I suppose that's just as well. The royalties I made on this book barely bought me a few gallons of milk.    

5 comments:

Tam said...

Awww. It's not the money in the first, it's that little thrill that goes through you when you get the acceptance. There is ever only one first acceptance. Yay you for organizing. I suck at it.

K. Z. Snow said...

The organizing and throwing away came about because I can't find the title to my effing car, which I want to sell. I have no idea what happened to it. So now I have to deal with DOT paperwork and fees to get a replacement title. Argh!

But, yeah, seeing the cover brought back memories. I was so proud when that romance was published. And you're right, Tam: no amount of money (or lack thereof) can compare with such a feeling, or how moved I was by the first reviewer's reaction. (I think she wrote for Romance Junkies, which made the review a pretty big deal.)

Molly said...

I remember that title! Though I think I never got around to reading it, alas. I was published with that same e-publisher (my novel WHAT SCOTLAND TAUGHT ME was, in a former and very different edition, TOURIST ATTRACTIONS). Any idea what became of our editor Deb? I've not heard from her at all in years.

K. Z. Snow said...

Welcome, Molly! I sure do remember Tourist Attractions.

Actually, a couple of my ST titles (but not this one) ended up being reissued by Cerridwen Press, the sweet-romance imprint of Ellora's Cave. And, yes, I knew about your reissue. Congratulations on that and on the rest of your writing successes (including the Bulwer-Lytton win a couple of years ago; I loved your entry!)

All I can tell you about Deb is that she first applied for freelance editing jobs, then started up a vendor's site -- no editorial or cover work, just sales -- for romances to which authors held the rights. When that didn't fly, she seemed to withdraw from publishing entirely and began some kind of couponing network. That was the last I heard of her, and it was a few years ago.

It's so nice to hear from you again. Keep up the good work, kiddo! :)

Molly said...

Thanks for the update, and the kind words! It feels like publishing is a small world after all, so I wouldn't be surprised if we encounter Deb yet in one of these houses. Meanwhile, I need to catch up on your books! Take care--
Molly